The Falcons had to have been traveling with a four-leafed clover or rabbit’s foot this weekend. Despite only taking two points they still find themselves in the hunt for a very achievable home playoff spot. As we posted on our recap, here is the current WCHA standings with the tie-breaking procedures of the WCHA being used:[table “” not found /]
Bolded teams have clinched a playoff spot.
* indicates a team that has clinched a home playoff series.
Struckthrough teams have been eliminated from playoff contention.
So with these standings you probably just want to know what are the scenarios for Bowling Green. Let’s start from worst to best case scenario.
Falcons Fall to 9th Place, Miss Playoffs
If Bowling Green is swept by Bemidji:
– Northern Michigan would need to earn three or more points against Alabama-Huntsville, Lake Superior would need to take at least two points against Ferris State, and Anchorage would need to take at least one point against Fairbanks. Both Northern Michigan and Lake Superior hold tiebreaker advantages over the Falcons.
Bowling Green only takes one point from Bemidji:
– Northern Michigan would need to sweep Alabama-Huntsville, Lake Superior would need to take three or more points against Ferris State, and Anchorage would need to take at least two points against Fairbanks.
Falcons Place 5-8 in Standings, Travel for First Round
Bowling Green earns two or more points:
– If the Falcons take at least two points from Bemidji then Northern Michigan can’t catch them in the standings.
Bowling Green picks up one point against Bemidji:
– Northern Michigan would need to earn three or less points against Alabama-Huntsville. Or, Lake Superior would need to earn two or less points against Ferris State. If Anchorage is only able to take one point against Fairbanks they would fall below BGSU as well.
Bowling Green is swept by Bemidji State:
– Northern Michigan would need to earn two or less points from Huntsville and Lake Superior can only take one point from Ferris State OR Anchorage needs to be swept as well.
Falcons Host a First Round Matchup
Bowling Green takes three points from Bemidji:
– Michigan Tech would need to be swept by Minnesota State.
Bowling Green sweeps Bemidji State:
– Michigan Tech takes one or less points from Minnesota State OR Alaska earns one or less point against Anchorage.
To the best of my knowledge these are the scenarios that will have to play out for each opportunity. Please let us know if you find a mistake.